A table for Christmas…

Technically a table for fall but since we are having our first extended family Christmas on this table in a few days, it feels like the inaugural meal.

Eddie built this table about a year ago from this plan and it has been collecting dust and piles of junk in the basement for over a year. The sanding was about half complete when crummy weather on the carport forced the project inside where it sat for an embarrassing long time.

After we wrapped up the farmers market this summer, Eddie got back to it. In an effort to keep the dust down, we loaded up the table and two benches and hauled them to the barn.

DSC_0317

DSC_0320

At this point, the table was still in very rough condition. Rough pine 2×4’s and 2×6’s from the lumber yard and I found it hard to imagine this table in an actual dining room.

DSC_0327

DSC_0325

Eddie put about 8-10 hours of additional sanding in at this point and it transformed this table.

DSC_0329

DSC_0339

DSC_0352

Once home, I put about 12+ hours in two coats of gel stain and 6 or so coats of poly.

wpid-img_20141126_164953600.jpg

wpid-img_20141126_165001303.jpg

wpid-img_20141126_165009381.jpg

It really turned out beautiful. This was a labor of love for sure.  I have no worries about keeping this table in pristine condition.  Any wear and tear will just add to the patina.

What a better way to say, “Merry Christmas” than a big farmhouse table for all the family to gather….

Bookshelves and Hooks

Let’s just call this DIY week, shall we?

First up we have a coat rack made from a free 2 x 6 laying around the barn, a few hooks from Walmart, a little extra stain leftover from another project…..Total $10

wpid-img_20140406_174027789.jpg

Five feet of glorious rustic organization!

wpid-img_20140406_174020491.jpg

Next we moved on to new bookshelves for Mae from left over scrap wood from the high tunnel wind repair and handcrafted by Eddie.  Extra gray paint from the toy kitchen and a little sanding to destress the edges.  Total – FREE!

wpid-img_20140406_173910756.jpg

We have more Spring catchup projects to get moving on….but this was a good start!

I am in love….

The DIY juices have been flowing around our house lately.

Our toy box in the closet situation was getting a little out of hand.  When Mae started into the box, it seemed like it all came out…..everywhere.

wpid-img_20140405_091528430.jpg

So we pulled out the box to install some shelves.  We started with this……

wpid-img_20140405_080203329.jpg

Then Eddie installed a few shelves that are easily removed if our need for this space changes.

wpid-img_20140405_083304331_hdr.jpg

Mae was very curious about the space in the bottom of the closet.  The closet makes a left turn for a few feet and will make a fun little playhouse area underneath the bottom shelf.

wpid-img_20140405_083706730.jpg

And we ended up with this.  I AM IN LOVE!

wpid-img_20140405_103008007_hdr.jpg

What a difference it has made in the clutter nightmare that Mae’s room can become in a matter of seconds.

wpid-img_20140405_102947849_hdr.jpg

 

 

%d bloggers like this: